Can I Still File a Claim if My Injuries Are Minor?

Can I Still Recover Compensation for Minor Injuries?

Minor injury If you were involved in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence and only suffered minor injuries, you may be wondering whether you may be able to file a claim to recover compensation for your damages.

Our car accident lawyers in Sacramento are prepared to discuss your claim during a free consultation to help you determine the severity of your damages, as even a minor accident may result in costly medical bills. It is also important to remember insurance companies downplay a variety of injuries, including ones that are obviously severe.

We do not charge you anything up front and only get paid if we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.


Only a medical professional can truly answer the question of whether you have suffered a minor or major injury. The insurance company may sound certain about the severity of your injury, but only a licensed medical professional gets the final word.

That said, there are some injuries that are often considered to be minor, such as:

  • Whiplash
  • Sprains
  • Strains
  • Bruises
  • Cuts
  • Scrapes

Sometimes, a police report may include a line about those involved in the accidents having suffered minor injuries – if an ambulance was called to the scene to evaluate a patient but no one was transported. While the insurance company may try to use this against you, it is important to note that an evaluation at the scene may not be thorough enough to catch a potentially more serious injury.


Seeing a doctor as soon as possible after an accident is important because some of those minor aches and pains you feel immediately after a crash may be signs of something more severe. Minor pain could be a sign of something like a herniated disc, which may not be caught by an EMT at the scene. Doctors likely need to do imaging tests to determine where the pain is coming from.

If your minor aches and pains do turn out to be something more serious, your medical costs are likely to be more than initially expected, which would drive up the value of your claim.


It is generally a good idea to file a claim for an accident caused by someone else’s negligence no matter how minor you believe your injuries to be. Remember that a claim not only covers the costs of your medical bills, but it also covers the cost of physical damage to your vehicle.

While the insurance company may try to downplay the seriousness of your injuries to try and get you to settle for less than the true value of your claim, our attorneys are prepared to help you fight for maximum compensation.

Since it is important to see a doctor no matter how minor your injuries are, you will likely have medical costs because a proper medical evaluation is necessary. These are all expenses that should be covered by the liable party, as the accident was not your fault. Even if you have health insurance, injuries caused by an accident may not be covered, and your medical evaluation would need to be paid for out of your own pocket.

Therefore, filing a claim for even minor injuries is an important step to recovering the compensation you need.


If you only suffered minor injuries after an accident, the liable insurance company is likely going to try and deny offering any compensation for pain and suffering damages. However, you may still be eligible for this type of compensation.

Our attorneys are prepared to help you file a claim and determine the value of all your damages, including pain and suffering, even if you suffered minor injuries.


If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you have the legal right to file a claim for compensation for your damages. Having an attorney by your side to help you through the process may be beneficial as you take on the insurance company, which is trying to downplay your injuries to devalue or deny your claim.

Our attorneys have decades of experience helping injury victims maximize their compensation and are prepared to help you do the same.

Call us today at (916) 777-7777 to schedule a free consultation.