Do You Know What to Do When Your Car Breaks Down?
Posted on behalf of Arnold Law Firm on Jan 26, 2015 in Auto Accidents
Accidents are not the only dangerous issues facing motorists on the nations roadways.
A flat tire, smoking engine or other mechanical failure while driving can be catastrophic. Mechanical failures are especially dangerous because if motorists do not respond appropriately, they can cause auto accidents.
The following disabled vehicle safety tips from our experienced Sacramento auto accident lawyers can protect you and your passengers as well as other motorists on the road.
If your car breaks down while you are driving, you should:
- Identify how best to get off the road quickly.
- Pull over to the shoulder, locate the nearest exit
- Turn on your emergency hazard lights to warn other drivers
- Stay in your vehicle until your vehicle is out of traffic
- If you must get out of your vehicle do not stand on the side with traffic
- In extreme weather, make sure you keep the engine running
- Use your cell phone to call for roadside assistance
- If you have a spare tire, get to a safe distance away from traffic before changing the tire
Additionally, by preparing a tire changing kit, food, snacks, and a phone charger in your car, you can get the help you need quickly. Inexperienced drivers, such as teenagers, are especially vulnerable to panicking.
Discuss safety strategies with teenagers to make sure that they know what to do in the event that their car ever becomes disabled.
Stay Safe on the Roads
Arnold Law Firm's skilled personal injury attorneys in Sacramento firmly believe that proper preparation can prevent dangerous accidents caused by disabled vehicles. If you are involved in an auto accident of any type, our Sacramento County auto injury lawyers are ready to assist you.