Reporting Nursing Home Abuse in Sacramento

resident dark hallwayResidents of nursing homes and assisted care facilities depend on staff to care for them, making them potentially vulnerable to neglect or abuse. If your loved one resides in one of Sacramento’s nursing homes, it is important to know how to report abuse if it occurs.

If you discover that your loved one has been abused or neglected by the staff of a nursing home or residential care facility, notify the authorities immediately. There are a number of resources for reporting elder abuse or neglect.

1. Local Law Enforcement

If you suspect your loved one is a victim of abuse, contact local law enforcement. The Elder Abuse Unit of the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department investigates all suspected forms of abuse committed against those who are 65-years or older.

2. California Department of Social Services

You can report any act of nursing home abuse to the California Department of Social Services by filling out a Confidential Report that will be provided to the local Long-Term Care Ombudsman program.

Long-Term Care Ombudsmen are trained to oversee all administrative care of residents in nursing homes and long-term care facilities. They are advocates of the elderly and nursing home residents’ rights and will investigate any complaints or violations.

3. Adult Protective Services

Any form of elder abuse that occurs outside of a nursing home or long-term care facility can be reported to your local law enforcement agency or California’s Adult Protective Services (APS). The APS is a state-wide mandated program that provides assistance to those who might be victims of elderly abuse, neglect, exploitation or self-neglect.

The APS investigates instances of abuse that has been reported in hospitals, private homes, adult day care facilities and any other facilities charged with caring for the well-being of elderly patients. Each county in California has an APS 24-hour hotline that is available for those who are attempting to report suspected acts of elder abuse and neglect.

4. Mandated Reporters

Mandated reporters are professionals who must report any signs of abuse. These include:

  • Clergy
  • Doctors
  • Caretakers
  • Employees of a hospital or residential nursing home facility

If your loved one is currently in the care of a nursing home or long-term care facility, it is vital to his or her well-being that you know the proper authorities to contact if you suspect he or she is a victim of abuse or neglect.

The Arnold Law Firm’s Sacramento nursing home abuse attorneys can help you file a claim against a facility or caregiver that has abused or neglected your loved one. We can discuss the conditions of your loved one’s treatment through a free, no obligation consultation. Our injury lawyers in Sacramento work on a contingency fee basis and will not charge you any fees unless we help obtain a favorable outcome in your claim.

Call (916) 777-7777 if you suspect your loved one is being abused in a nursing home.