Race for the cure 2011
Date: May 07, 2011
The Race for the Cure was a huge success! We had a great time and cannot wait forn next year.
"The Komen Race for the Cure is a unique event, designed and implemented to promote positive awareness, education and early detection of breast cancer. It has proved to be an enormously effective way to reach many women and men with the message that breast cancer is not necessarily fatal if mammography and breast self-exam become routine. As well as being a road race for runners, the Komen Race for the Cure is an emotionally charged event that attracts many first timers and recreational runners. The Komen Race for the Cure is an opportunity for thousands of women, men and their families, running or walking, to spread the breast cancer message within their communities.
Up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the Race remain here in the Komen Sacramento Valley Affiliate to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.
Why we need your support:
Every step counts! Your donation provides women and men in the Komen Sacramento Valley Affiliate with services that have literally saved lives. You help make the following programs possible:
- Free mammograms and diagnostics
- Medical treatment for qualified breast cancer patients who cannot afford care, including surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation
- Support services including support groups, assistance with finding financial resources, prescription refills and transportation to medical appointments
- Education about the warning signs of breast cancer, methods of early detection and the latest treatment options
- Cutting edge research to find a cure for breast cancer
Up to 75 percent of net proceeds are used for local programs in the Sacramento Valley, like those listed above, with the remaining 25 percent used to fund innovative breast cancer research."
(source: komensacramento.org; http://www.komensacramento.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/)
Attachments / PDFs