Sacramento Bedsore Injury Lawyers
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that an approximately one out of 10 nursing home resident is currently living with a bedsore. Bedsores, also known as pressure sores, pressure ulcers or decubitus ulcers, are one of the most common signs of nursing home abuse. Sadly, over the past 10 years the number of deaths associated with bedsores has risen over 50 percent. Research has shown a direct correlation between bedsores and mortality.
Bedsores are injuries to the skin and the underlying tissue that are caused by extended pressure to the skin. If left untreated, bedsores can cause serious complications for a nursing home resident. Nursing home residents commonly sustain bedsores on the buttocks, back, heels, back of the head, hips, elbows and ankles.
If you or a loved one has suffered from bedsores due to the negligence of caregiver, you may be eligible for legal and financial recourse. Contact a Sacramento nursing home abuse attorney today to discuss your legal options.
Causes of Bedsores
A pressure sore occurs when the pressure against the skin inhibits adequate blood supply to the skin and underlying issues. One of the most common causes of bedsores is when an individual has been sedentary for a long period of time. Listed below are some factors that can contribute to a resident developing bedsores:
- Failure to regularly change a residents bed linen
- Improper hydration
- Failure to change soiled clothing and diapers
- Failure to report bedsores to medical professionals
- Improper nutrition
- Failure to regularly check for pressure sores
- Improper policies regarding the rotating of bedridden residents
Individuals that have a loved one at nursing home facility should be on the lookout for bedsores. Oftentimes, bedsores are a sign that an elderly adult is the victims of nursing home abuse or neglect.
If you believe that your family member is a victim of neglect, you may be able to seek legal action against the negligent party. Contact the Arnold Law Firm today to learn about the legal rights available to nursing home abuse victims.
To schedule a legal consultation, complete the contact form on the right-hand side of the page.
Complications of Bedsores
Bedsores can cause dangerous complications for a resident, if they are not treated in a timely manner. Some common complications of bedsores include:
- Sepsis- Sepsis is a life-threatening condition that occurs when bacteria enters the bloodstream through broken skin and then spreads throughout the body. It can result in organ failure, if it is not caught in time.
- Cellulitis- This occurs when the skins connective tissue becomes infected, resulting in redness, pain and swelling. Cellulitis can cause life-threatening complications such as sepsis and meningitis.
- Bone and joint infections- When a bedsore burrows deep into a residents joint and bones they can become infected. Bone and joint infections can lead to cartilage and tissue damage.
- Cancer- Bedsores can result in squamous cell carcinoma which causes chronic, non-healing wounds. Typically, surgery is required to treat this type of treatment.
If your family member has developed any of the above ailments from bedsores, contact a nursing home abuse attorney today to explore your legal options.
California Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuits
In 2004, 1.5 million nursing home residents in the United States had bedsores, according to the CDC. Unfortunately, many bedsore cases are the result of nursing home abuse and neglect. If you or a loved one has suffered from nursing home abuse at a California facility, you may have grounds for legal action. Contact our nursing home abuse attorneys for a free and confidential case evaluation.
At the Arnold Law Firm, our attorneys and staff are dedicated to fighting for justice on the behalf of abused elders. Over the years, our law firm has successfully litigated numerous nursing home abuse cases.
For a free review of your claim, contact us today by calling (916) 777-7777.