Seat Belt Injury Compensation Claims in California
Across the country, auto accidents are the leading cause of death for people 5 to 34 years old. One in five drivers will be involved in some type of serious automotive collision in the next year. While seat belts are intended to prevent injury, and studies have proven that seat belts do save lives, sometimes a seat belt restraint can escalate injuries incurred in a crash.
If you or a loved one has suffered a seat belt injury in a Sacramento car accident, call us today at (916) 777-7777.
Seat Belt Injury Facts
Seat belts are meant to protect passengers in the event of an accident. Studies have shown that seat belts reduce the risk of death by 45 percent in most cases. Nevertheless, seat belts have also been shown to cause injuries as well.
With an auto accident injury occurring every 15 seconds and a traffic fatality occurring every 13 minutes, it is important to understand the potential risks associated with seat belts:
- Lap seat belts are most commonly associated with injuries to the spine.
- Improper use of a seat belt can increase the risk of injury as opposed to reducing injury.
- The diagonal belt and the combination lap-and-diagonal belt can cause injuries to the ribs, sternum and upper abdomen.
- In 30 percent of cases, skin abrasions to the neck, chest and abdomen indicate internal injury.
Symptoms of Seat Belt Injuries
It can take several days for the symptoms of a seat belt injury to become apparent. The most common signs of seat belt injury include:
- Abdomen pain - This includes pain between the hips and ribs.
- Blood in urine and/or stool - This can be the indication of internal damage.
- Trouble breathing - The pressure and force of impact can cause damage to the heart or lungs
- Stiff neck - Commonly called whiplash, this type of injury is the most common seat belt injury. A stiff neck can also be an indicator of a spinal cord injury.
- Weak legs - Weakness can indicate damage to the lower back, abdomen and/or spinal nerves.
Common Seat Belt Injuries
While seat belts are meant to restrain vehicle occupants in the event of an accident, they often contribute to damage incurred as a result of the crash. Common seat belt injuries include:
- Broken Bones
- Head Injuries
- Brain Damage
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Internal Injuries
Contact an Experienced Sacramento Attorney Today
At the Arnold Law Firm, our team of personal injury lawyers believe that if you have been injured by the actions or negligence of another driver, you deserve both compassion and compensation for your losses. Our team of attorneys has the knowledge and expertise necessary to successfully litigate a California car accident injury claim.
There are no upfront costs and your initial case review is also free of charge.
We also offer free case evaluations to anyone who believes that they may have cause to file an injury claim. During an evaluation, a member of our team of legal professionals will assess the merits of your claim and offer guidance on how to best pursue legal recourse for your losses.
For more information on the legal rights which may be available to Sacramento auto accident victims and their families or to schedule a confidential, no-obligation consultation with one of our attorneys, please call (916) 777-7777.